Scientific MOOCs follower. Author of Airpocalypse, a techno-medical thriller (Out Summer 2017)


Welcome to the digital era of biology (and to this modest blog I started in early 2005).

To cure many diseases, like cancer or cystic fibrosis, we will need to target genes (mutations, for ex.), not organs! I am convinced that the future of replacement medicine (organ transplant) is genomics (the science of the human genome). In 10 years we will be replacing (modifying) genes; not organs!


Anticipating the $100 genome era and the P4™ medicine revolution. P4 Medicine (Predictive, Personalized, Preventive, & Participatory): Catalyzing a Revolution from Reactive to Proactive Medicine.


I am an early adopter of scientific MOOCs. I've earned myself four MIT digital diplomas: 7.00x, 7.28x1, 7.28.x2 and 7QBWx. Instructor of 7.00x: Eric Lander PhD.

Upcoming books: Airpocalypse, a medical thriller (action taking place in Beijing) 2017; Jesus CRISPR Superstar, a sci-fi -- French title: La Passion du CRISPR (2018).

I love Genomics. Would you rather donate your data, or... your vital organs? Imagine all the people sharing their data...

Audio files on this blog are Windows files ; if you have a Mac, you might want to use VLC (http://www.videolan.org) to read them.

Concernant les fichiers son ou audio (audio files) sur ce blog : ce sont des fichiers Windows ; pour les lire sur Mac, il faut les ouvrir avec VLC (http://www.videolan.org).


Thank you, Mr. Harold Goodman! Xie xie nin, Goodman xian sheng

Today I've just completed my learning of Mandarin Chinese with the Michel Thomas 100% Audio Method (Harrap's Innovation).

This means I went through the Foundation Course (18 CD's), the Advanced Course (4 CD's) and the Vocabulary Course (4 CD's as well). It took me one year... I just did it for the fun of it, actually. But starting to speak with native Chinese speakers, I come to realise how much I owe this (innovative and 100% audio) method.

According to my Mandarin Chinese teacher, this method is working wonders. She says my accent is very good... and I've got the confidence to speak in this... foreign language!  OK, I still have a looong way to go... but believe me, this is a goood start... In a couple of weeks I'll be starting with the written Mandarin language... wish me luck... My goal is to be able to recognize characters and send e-mails. Being able to write characters all by myself is an entire other story (highly time-consuming).

So I'd like to say a hearty thank you! to Mr. Harold Goodman, who is actually talking you through the whole thing (you might want to say "learning process")... with his "team", composed by 3 students and a native Chinese speaker (assistant to the teacher)... As a former foreign language teacher, I find this method unique. Please Mr. Goodman, we want some more!  
My Apple Tree Electronic Dictionary, my Practice Pad "A Chinese Phrase a Day" (audio files), and... this veeery useful book: "Don't Sit On This Book: A Collection Of Chinese Taboos And Superstitions".

I've tried the Rosetta Stone method... VERY impressive ... Actually I got a hands-on demo in Boston (Prudential Center, right outside the Barnes and Noble bookstore) a few weeks ago... This is the best method ever, I think. And also the most expensive... Not yet sure I'm gonna buy it... My Mandarin Chinese teacher might get jealous ;-)

Actually I'm still working on other CD's, with the "Instant Immersion" method... 

I got 16 audio CD's for less than 30 bucks (at Barnes and Noble). I wanted to activate the vocabulary from the Michel Thomas audio method... and learn a little bit more, Re: basic topics (order food, purchase plane tickets, do some shopping, go to the doctor, etc.) 

I guess this will keep me busy till I go to Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) this winter... Then I will probably purchase the "Instant Immersion" method for PC at the Kinokuniya bookstore in Suria KLCC (Petronas Tower, Kuala Lumpur's biggest shopping mall). Unless I decide to go for the Rosetta Stone method... Really dunno yet... I'll keep you posted. 

Meanwhile, may I suggest you check this out:  a cool list of books, CD's, software about Chinese culture and language... Please help me keep it updated! Thanks!

Aucun commentaire: